What is the “Discount Date”?

A. The Discount Date is the due date of your bill. When you pay your bill by the due date, you are given a discount off your actual bill amount. If you pay after the Discount Date, you pay the actual amount of your bill.
Q. What does “PCP” and “PCA” mean?
A. PCP and PCA appear as line items on your statement.  PCP stands for PASNY Credit to Power – also known as the Hydro Credit. The Light Department receives power from the Niagara Dam Project, operated by the New York Power Authority (formerly known as the Port Authority of the State of New York). Because the cost of this power is lower than other sources, and only residential customers are entitled to get the benefit of it, the lower cost is passed on to the residential customers.
PCA stands for Power Cost Adjustment. This is adjustment to the rates in the event the cost of buying power is higher or lower over time.
Q. What is an “MTC” charge?
A. “MTC” stands for Massachusetts Technology Collaborative. This charge allows residents to apply for grants for alternative energy projects, such as solar panels and wind turbines. The surcharge is applied to energy usage (kwh) each month. The state agency that administers the program is now known as the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center or CEC.
Q. Who do I call to report an issue with a tree?
A. The Tree Warden works out of the Light Department. Contact us at (508) 210-5400 with your concerns regarding trees on town property or any trees that are interfering with power lines. We will see that the Tree Warden receives the information.
Q. What do I do in the event of a power outage?
A. Do not hesitate to call us at (508) 210-5400 if you experience a power outage. The sooner we are aware of the outage, the sooner we can send crews to repair it. Please understand that the office personnel may not know the cause or length of the outage.
Q. What do I need to do when I sell my home?
A. When selling your home, it is your responsibility to request a final reading of your utilities and pay the final bill before going to closing.  Technically, every time you are billed for your utilities, a lien is put on the property. This lien is cleared every time you pay your bill in full. Once your final bill is paid in full, we will provide you with a letter stating that the liens have been released regarding the electric, water/sewer, and trash services. This letter should be presented at your closing. The account is then transferred to the new owners’ name(s) without disruption of service.  When requesting a final reading, please allow 48 hours before your closing date. If your  closing is postponed or cancelled, please call us to prevent the property and account information from being transferred into the anticipated buyer's name(s)..
Q. What is required if I am going to be renting a property in Holden?
A. All renters are required to fill out an application and to pay a deposit on their new account. A new account cannot be established until the deposit is paid. When you decide to move out, call the Light Department to have a final reading taken and arrange to pay your final bill. Your deposit will be deducted from your final bill.
Q. I am separated/divorced and no longer residing at my residence. Can I get my name removed from the account?
A. By law, the Light Department can only put the account in the names that are on the deed. This is because a lien is placed on the property each time you are billed. If the account is not paid, the balance due is held against the property, and the owners of the property are responsible. So, if your name is on the deed, it must remain on the account.
Q. Where can I pay my bill?
A. Your bill can be paid in person at either the Light Department at One Holden Street or at the Treasurer’s Office in the Starbard Building at 1204 Main Street. Both locations have a drop box located outside the entrance for payments made after hours. We request that the drop boxes be used for “check only” payments.  Envelopes are provided with your statement. If you want to mail your payment in your own envelope, payments can be mailed to HMLD, 1 Holden Street, Holden, MA 01520.
Q. What if I can’t pay my bill?
A. Should you be in the situation that you are unable to pay all or part of your bill, it is important that you contact us. We will work with you by setting up a payment plan, provide some suggestions for conservation, and can direct you to other agencies that may be able to provide some assistance. It is very important to contact us as soon as you are aware of the situation so that we can begin to help you before the balance gets too high.