Q. What is the “Discount Date”?
A. The Discount Date is the due date of your bill. When you pay your bill by the due date, you are given a discount off your actual bill amount. 
If you pay after the Discount Date, you pay the actual amount of your bill.

Q. When is my bill considered late?
A.  Under standard credit terms your bill is considered late if it remains unpaid after 30 days.

Q. What do all the charges mean on my bill?
A. For explanation on charges see 'Understanding Your Bill'.

Q. Who do I call to report an issue with a tree?
A. The Tree Warden works out of the Light Department. Contact us at (508) 210-5400 with your concerns regarding trees on town property
or any trees that are interfering with power lines. We will see that the Tree Warden receives the information.

Q. What do I do in the event of a power outage?
A. Do not hesitate to call us at (508) 210-5400 if you experience a power outage. The sooner we are aware of the outage, the sooner we
can send crews to repair it. Please understand that the office personnel may not know the cause or length of the outage. If the outage is
after hours please notify the Holden Police Department at 508-210-5600.

Q. What do I need to do when I sell my home?
A. When selling your home, it is your responsibility to request a final reading of your utilities and pay the final bill before going to closing. 
Technically, every time you are billed for your utilities, a lien is put on the property. This lien is cleared every time you pay your bill in full.
Once your final bill is paid in full, we will provide you with a letter stating that the liens have been released regarding the electric, water/sewer,
and trash services. This letter should be presented at your closing. The account is then transferred to the new owners’ name(s) without
disruption of service.When requesting a final reading, please allow 48 hours before your closing date. If your  closing is postponed or cancelled please call us to prevent the property and account information from being transferred into the anticipated buyer's name(s)..

Q. What is required if I am going to be renting a property in Holden?
A. All renters are required to fill out an application and to pay a deposit on their new account. A new account cannot be established until the
deposit is paid. When you decide to move out, call the Light Department to have a final reading taken and arrange to pay your final bill. Your
deposit will be deducted from your final bill.

Q. I am separated/divorced and no longer residing at my residence. Can I get my name removed from the account?
A. By law, the Light Department can only put the account in the names that are on the deed. This is because a lien is placed on the property
each time you are billed. If the account is not paid, the balance due is held against the property, and the owners of the property are responsible.
So, if your name is on the deed, it must remain on the account.

Q. Where can I pay my bill?
A. Your bill can be paid in person at either the Light Department at One Holden Street or at the Treasurer’s Office in the Starbard Building at 1204 Main Street. Both locations have a drop box located outside the entrance for payments made after hours. We request that the drop boxes be used for “check only” payments.  Envelopes are provided with your statement. If you want to mail your payment in your own envelope, payments can be mailed to HMLD, 1 Holden Street, Holden, MA 01520.

Q. What if I can’t pay my bill?
A. Should you be in the situation that you are unable to pay all or part of your bill, it is important that you contact us. We will work with you by
setting up a payment plan, provide some suggestions for conservation, and can direct you to other agencies that may be able to provide some
assistance. It is very important to contact us as soon as you are aware of the situation so that we can begin to help you before the balance gets
too high.