Animal Control

On this page....

TopicsForms & DocumentsLinks
- Contact info- Pet Waste article- Outside resources
- Functions- Dog Complaint form 
- Laws & Licensing- Dog Registration form 
- Pet Lost & Found  



Thomas Walsh, Animal Control Officer

Emergency calls at all times 9-1-1

Business hours non-emergency calls
HPD Business Line (508) 210 5600 option 1
After hours non-emergency calls
HPD Business Line (508) 210 5600 option 1



The Health Agent for the Town of Holden reminds residents to refrain from depositing pet waste in storm drains, whether the waste is bagged or not. Please bring it home with you for proper disposal.

>> Click here to read an article about this public health hazard.

* * * * *


The Holden Police Department employs one part-time Animal Control Officer.

  • Animal Control deals primarily with:
    • problem domestic animals (dogs, cats, etc.)
    • wild animal issues
    • enforcement of the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and Town of Holden bylaws that pertain to animal control and licensing
    • referrals to the appropriate agency or private company when issues are beyond their capability or jurisdiction


Holden pet owners must follow Massachusetts state laws and Town of Holden bylaws regarding the licensing and vaccination of their pets. In summary, the following rules apply:


  • All dogs and cats must have up-to-date rabies vaccinations and other shots as required by law


  • All dogs must be licensed yearly
  • Cats do not require licensing or registration
  • >> Click here to open the mail-in dog registration form


Leashing (Town ByLaw)

  • Holden has a 24-hour leash law for dogs
  • Your dog must be leashed at all times in all public places and on public ways
  • When on private property, your animals must be confined to those premises.

State Laws

  • Laws regarding dog licensing, etc. are in MGL Chapter 140, Sections 136A-175

Dog Waste

  • As a pet owner, it is your responsibility to dispose of waste correctly
  •  >> Click here to read about owner responsibility and some issues surrounding dog waste in the Wachusett area 


Nuisance Barking and/or Vicious Dog

  • Laws regarding nuisance barking and vicious dogs are in MGL Chapter 140, Section 157
  • Nuisance barking and/or vicious dog complaints may be filed by completing a complaint form and submitting it to the Animal Control Officer. 
  • >> Click here to access the dog complaint form.


If you have lost your pet or found someone else's, please report it by calling the HPD Business Line at 508-210-5600 and use option 1. We keep a running list of reported losses and discoveries so hopefully we can make a match and reunite pet and owner.

Information to have available when you call, if possible:

  • Type of animal, breed, gender, age
  • Description (color, size, breed, injuries, markings)
  • Date and location when found/last seen
  • Collar description
  • Tag description, numbers, etc.
  • Behavior / warnings (friendly, agressive, etc.)



Mass Division of Fisheries & Wildlife 508-835-3607Public agency - wildlife info of all kinds
Critter Control508-717-8421Private company for critter removal
Jeff Zottoli (no website)508-829-7093Private company for critter removal
Fords Hometown Services508-852-4066Private company for critter removal
Town of Holden Health Agent508-210-5542Human health issues
Town of Holden Town Clerk508-210-5530Dog licensing
Mass. Environmental Police800-632-8075Wildlife law enforcement
MSPCA617-522-6008Mass. Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
HSUS     202-452-1100Humane Society of the United States
Second Chance Fund 978-779-8287 "Quick Fix" clinics - spay/neuter and vaccinations
Worcester Animal Rescue League 508-853-0030Non-profit shelter
Holden Veterinary Clinic508-829-6368Local veterinarian
Mt Wachusett Veterinary Hospital 508-829-0419Local veterinarian